Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Beginner's Icelandic


Rosetta Stone is not available for Icelandic, nor are any of the other commonly available language learning systems.  You can't take a class in your local community college, or even four-year college -- not locally, at least.

However, there is this lovely site that I just found and will be exploring further. https://icelandic.hi.is/

And my "Beginner's Icelandic" book and CDs showed up today -- finally.  I bought it on Amazon, but the vendor was in Germany.

There are 32 letters in the Icelandic alphabet. Most of them look familiar to me but that doesn't mean they sound the way I expect them to.  Each vowel is available in multiple flavors, depending on the accent mark. 

I am about the explore the "survival" section of the online course.  This is for the absolute beginner.  I think I qualify!

Bless-bless  (which means "bye-bye")

Note to self: Be wary of pushing buttons that look like it might mean "next."  It can also mean "logout"... not that I just logged myself out of the site...

No comments:

Post a Comment